If you have any comments, please email:

If you have any comments, please send them to:
jamesandtimsworldtour@hotmail.co.uk

Facebook: James A Gray

Follow the journey by map

Saturday 10 November 2012

Time out of mind

Wednesday, 07/11/2012 – 146 A.D.

Neither of us had much of a hangover from the previous evening, but we still started the day slowly. Again. A lot of my time that morning was spent reading up on China and all that we need to be aware of. Already we are about to enter another country! Two, if you count Hong Kong (which we do).

Come the afternoon we went down to the market just north east of the hotel. My mission was to by some more moody shades, and to see whatever else was on offer. It was an odd place, with 90% of the stalls over the three levels selling material and clothing. Not much room to walk between stalls either – maybe they like it that way so it’s easy for you to break something and buy it by default. The oddest thing of all was that not one person encouraged us to have a look at their wares. Normally we can’t move for the cries of, “Hello, buy something?” but at this place they just weren’t interested. Maybe it was a locals-only market and we’d brought ill fortune by setting our foreign feet inside? Don’t they know I’m the Good Luck Jimmy???


I bought some shades with ‘Porsche’ written in the corner of one of the lenses. The guy on the stall was a real piece of work and didn’t want to haggle with me…he didn’t want to look at me either, lest Bad Luck Jimmy cast the evil eye upon him! I managed to get a measly 10,000 dong off the price. We then went across town to book our tickets for the water puppet show that evening. Yes, after the disappointment in Saigon, we were finally getting to go!

There was an amusing moment across the road by the entrance to some kind of temple that sits out on the lake. A couple of Japanese tourists approached Tim with camera in hand. He assumed they wanted him to take a picture of them, but no, they wanted to have their picture taken with him! First the girl posed with him, giving it the thumbs-up to the camera, then the guy. Unfortunately I was staring off into space at that point, so I missed it. Our theory is that they thought he was some famous celebrity, but we can’t for the life of us think who!


Further down the road, behind the statue of someone called Ly Thaito, we found a flat, paved area where we could have a reasonably quiet game of licky-kicky. We managed about three minutes before a couple of young lads joined us for the craic. I’d say their skill level was a bit better than us, but a few metres away were some proper courts marked out and with nets where the real experts were playing. Honestly, these guys were good! Their rallies went on for ages and I finally realised that it’s all in the flick of the leg, none of this ridiculous all over body posturing that I do is needed to get it right. I contemplated this as I sat down knackered and sweaty afterwards.



On the way back alongside the lake, we heard sirens ringing out. The road was clear and policemen were everywhere. Along came motorbikes, security-style vans and long cars that rich folks get driven around in. Even an ambulance was tagging along, just in case. Whose motorcade was this?  Later that evening at the water puppet show, I found myself sitting next to a couple of Americans, who were keen to hear who had won the result of their election. They then told me that the motorcade was for Russian prime minister and ex-president, Dimitri Medvedev. Kind of ironic really, because we were at a puppet show, and it is often remarked that Medvedev was a puppet president for Putin.


So yes, at 20:00 that evening we went to take in the infamous water puppet show, which has been performed for generations upon generations and requires a minimum of three years training for each puppeteer. I was surprised to discover that you don’t actually get to see the puppeteers themselves, well not until the end when they come out for their round of applause. It was quite ingenious the way they operated them, though the themes of traditional courtship and rice cultivation, backed by some almost-Celtic sounding music was at times a little tough to stick with. Especially when it’s warm, dark and you’ve just had a large Tiger beer. But all in all it was a good little show and I’m glad I finally got to see it.



Thursday, 08/11/2012 – 147 A.D.

Fifth day in Hanoi, and I’ve run out of things to do! Sure, there are museums, but I can’t really be bothered at this point. Tim and I had agreed well in advance that this would be a What Carcass Day, but with him hanging out at the hotel if he fancied it and me going on my wanderings. But where to wander?

I was asked whether we were going to do some Couchsurfing in Asia and, while it’s still a possibility, it may be a bit difficult to arrange. That said, I figured I might be able to meet up with someone on the Couchsurfing website and just hang out with them for a while, buy them lunch or whatever, and get to see the bits of Hanoi that aren’t listed in the guidebooks. And so I sent a few emails out a couple of days ago and got some interest. I picked the first person who replied and thought the day was sorted. Then the night before she emailed to say she had the caught the flu, didn’t want to infect me, etc. Ha – you can’t kid a kidder! She probably bottled it, and who can blame her? Thing is, I’d had to blow out three other people because I’d decided to hook up with her and there was no time to arrange anything else. Cheers, luv! (And apologies if you really did have the flu!)

And so I spent the afternoon wandering and writing, taking the odd snap here and there. I walked around the whole of Truch Bach lake, said a little prayer at the Temple of Literature and went by the Red River which runs through the city (not the most picturesque body of water ever visited!) It was a shame there wasn’t much more to do, but even if there was, I probably wouldn’t have been up for it anyway. Maybe it’s because we’ve been here five days, or maybe it’s because we’ve been on the road nearly five months, but I think I’ve crossed a spiritual marker since we’ve been in the capital of Vietnam. When I first started this trip, the thought of returning home was alien to me – a million metaphorical miles away. But now…now we’re into November and, given what we’ve been through, lasting a month and a bit is nothing for us. Don’t get me wrong, there are things I’m looking forward to back home…some things that I am REALLY looking forward to…but now that the clock is properly ticking, I feel like I need to do more. But of what, I don’t know!

Maybe I just had a great time in Vietnam and I’m sad to leave? Before coming here it wasn’t at the top of my countries-to-visit list, but I’ve had a ball, despite cockroaches, bug spray, mini migraine and the odd power cut. The prices are great, the weather is decent, the communism isn’t a problem, the women are the prettiest I’ve encountered in all of Indochina and it’s easy to have fun and a laugh here. Cambodia was good, but Vietnam was even better, and I’m sure it’s got a fine future ahead of it. And what about my future? Nyeargh, I’ll be fine, just need to move on and keep myself focused on the present. The future can wait for a while! It is unwritten, after all.

And coming up we have two sleeper trains in a row as we cross the border into China and head for Hong Kong. Bring it on, baby! Let’s go Grayboys!



No comments:

Post a Comment