If you have any comments, please email:

If you have any comments, please send them to:
jamesandtimsworldtour@hotmail.co.uk

Facebook: James A Gray

Follow the journey by map

Thursday 15 November 2012

Tomorrow comes today

Tuesday, 13/11/2012 – 152 A.D.

Today it is five months since we got up at three in the morning, left a dark Southport and got on that aeroplane at Manchester. Five months??? You could have a baby in that time! Well, not quite. But it’s still a while. Are we drifting aimlessly without purpose, or are we focused on wisdom through purpose? You decide.

We’re getting up later and later, it was always bound to happen. Now the alarm tends to go off about 08:30, but it’s nearer 09:00 when we resign ourselves to rising and going to face the bathroom designed for Lilliputians. Soon it will be midday before we even bother to shake a leg. Oh, the sloth! Oh, the wallowing! Oh, the guilt! Give us a break – we’ve been on the road for five months. And when we did finally crawl out of our pits…we did a bit of admin. Groundhog Day!

[Can you tell what it is yet?]

[That's right, it's the top of the nearby mosque.]

Today we wanted to have a walk around Kowloon and see what it had to offer. Markets. Four of them actually. I was starting to get a bit twitchy about turning up in Shanghai and freezing my bits off, so was keen to check out which winter garments were currently in with Hong Kong market traders. Not many, as it happened. November isn’t winter as far as they’re concerned (is it technically Autumn in England as well?) so the stock was still mostly light clothing. Any of the kind of puffer jackets that Tim is after didn’t yet contain sleeves – apparently they’ll be coming a bit later.



[I do hope Tim is checking out the market stall's goods, rather than this woman's...]

We had lunch at a Chinese fast food chain known as the Café De Coral, and bloody good it was too, both for taste, value and size of portion. I had some kind of diced pork and sweetcorn with rice dish, but Tim’s spicy beef with a cheese sauce looked even better. If you ever find yourself over here and fancy some quick and convenient Cantonese cuisine, then check it out. After feeling really full, it was quite tough walking back through the fish market, where all kinds of marine life swim about in front of you, just waiting for you to tell the stall owner that you want fish X slaughtered for your tea that night. Plus the live frogs crammed together in a net was a bit of an unsettling sight.



After that came the “Goldfish Market”, which was basically just a street lined with pet shops. At least I think (make that hope) that the animals were meant for pets, rather than for any other purpose. Unfortunately I didn’t get any pictures of the cute little kittens and ker-azy little puppies playing with each other because we were politely told no photos, but before that I was able to capture the sight of all tortoises great and small…



Further along in Kowloon, down Shanghai Street, which is known as one of the most traditional streets in the city, we saw that part of the road had been cordoned off by police and lots of people were looking up at one of the buildings. Was someone about to jump? Was a loose aircon about to fall from its precarious brackets? Was the Hong Kong police budget underspent and they needed to balance the books by using up expensive hazard tape? Dunno. We stayed and watched for a bit, but when you don't know what's going on it gets boring after a while.

At the end of Shanghai Street we came to Kowloon Park, which features all of the modern parky amenities you'd expect from a place like Hong Kong. And regular readers of this blog will know just how much Timbo and I lurve strolling through parks. Tim is also very much into his photography, but unfortunately while strolling through the park he was struck down by a very strong case of lens envy:


That’s just a ridiculous size, isn’t it? Speaking of size, my follicles were still getting a bit long and, as I hadn’t really done a great deal with the day, I decided I should mark it with a haircut. Rather than pick out a specific place, I simply headed for the nearest barber’s pole I could find. The place was several floors up and had “salon” in the name, but I figured they cut bloke’s hair as well. And they did, even though I was the only bloke in there, though all of the choppers were men. I managed to negotiate myself a price because I didn’t want a shampoo or blow dry, but even with the lesser amount I realised I probably should have got the locks cut in Vietnam as it would have costs me a fraction of the price. But to be fair to the lad who gamely snipped away, he worked to strict precision. Unfortunately though, he didn’t speak much English, and that had been the main reason I’d waited `til Hong Kong. Every time he asked me something and I replied, he shouted, “Vincent!” and senior-snipper Vincent  arrived to translate my requests for more off the top, not so spiky at the sides, etc. But all in all, I was pretty pleased with the end result.


Upon returning to Chungking Mansions I found the following burning slowly outside of the door to our section of the building:


A fire hazard? Possibly, so I blew it out. Then I realised it was part of the Indian festival of lights celebrations.

After five months on The Road around the world, I’d like to wish everyone a Happy Diwali from Hong Kong!

Wednesday, 14/11/2012 – 153 A.D.

The journey down the stairs in gorgeous Chungking Mansions…




We went back to one of the markets we hit yesterday. I had seen a jacket that fitted okay, but which I’d ummed and aaahed about. Tim wanted to buy some trinkets which I won’t mention in detail in case you find them presented to you in wrapping paper in a month and a half. And can I just mention that we are yet to see one advert for Christmas on television – bliss! As for the jacket, well, I tried it on again and it didn’t seem to fit quite as well as yesterday – must have slept at a funny angle. I wasn’t going to go any higher than 200 Hong Kong Dollars and the stall owner wouldn’t budge below 300 HKD (she even turned her back on me at one point – a sure sign I’d gone into the haggling far too low). In the markets here we’re constantly seeing stall owners chasing after people with lower prices, but this one was playing hard ball. Tim found several of his purchasing efforts frustrated as well. I guess this isn’t Cambodia and the Hong Kong traders don’t have to take as little as they can get!

It may sound like Tim is always buying trinkets and things – he is. This afternoon he sent a load of them back in a cardboard box, which I helped him pad out with a couple of things. That’s the third box now that we’ve sent back across the seas to Southport. May it arrive safely! What to do with the rest of the afternoon? Pick a museum, any museum…erm…let’s visit the Space Museum, as we haven’t visited one of those so far on our trip. Although we hadn’t known beforehand, the Space Museum turned out to be free on Wednesdays – great success! And very informative it was too.  



[A monolith from the film 2001: A Space Odyssey? Nah, just a skyscraper `neath the November sun.]

Come the evening we returned to the place where we started our Hong Kong journey – down by the harbour, looking out at the night time skyline. At 20:00 every day something takes place called A symphony of lights which features a light show from the tops of some of the skyscrapers backed by music. And it was a bit crap really! Well, it was okay, but there was no grand finale and the music was a bit cheesy. Plus when you’ve seen 4th of July fireworks by the Mississippi in New Orleans then you set your standards a little higher than what we saw tonight. But the crowds didn’t seem too disappointed. And I wasn’t disappointed with Hong Kong in the slightest. It’s a place with something for everyone, where modern meets traditional, and you can get cheap electronics by the bucket load. And Chungking Mansions wasn’t that bad after all, but I will not miss being asked the following questions by dodgy-looking blokes at least ten times whenever I come and go from the building:

“Tailor-tailor-tailor?”
            Should have said, “Got a suit in Hoi An, mate. At least I think I did.”

“You want watches – genuine copies?”
            Should have said, “How can you have a “genuine copy”? Think about it…”

“Hello, Sir. Something special?”
            Shouldn’t have said anything…didin’t say anything!


That’s it for the Hong Kong Hustle, bring on the Shanghai Special!


No comments:

Post a Comment