If you have any comments, please email:

If you have any comments, please send them to:
jamesandtimsworldtour@hotmail.co.uk

Facebook: James A Gray

Follow the journey by map

Wednesday 31 October 2012

My head's in Mississippi

Monday, 29/10/2012 – 137 A.D.

Really not the best day at all, dear readers. We found ourselves camped out in the windowless room this morning, mainly doing admin, but there was also an underlying lack of motivation for getting out and about. We both felt reasonably okay, but not quite 100%. Suddenly I noticed a weird shimmery-kaleidoscope-type thing going on in the corner of my right eye. It wasn’t directly in front of where I looked, more off to the right, but I couldn’t tell if it was growing larger. Possibly it had developed form staring too hard at a white-backed computer screen, I don’t know. This was quite a disturbing sensation, especially as I didn’t know if the shimmery-blur was going to get much larger, but then I remembered that it happened some time in America and faded away soon enough.

Twenty minutes later and I was back to normal, at least so I thought. Then I noticed I had a headache coming on the left side of my head, which became stronger and more focused just behind my eyeball. I dropped a couple of paracetemols, but it wasn’t getting any better and - shock horror – I didn’t have an appetite for lunch…and this was coming up to 14:00! And I had a strange sweat on, despite the aircon whirring away. I wondered if things would improve if we went for a walk, so we headed two minutes down the road to the nearby STA Travel to get a quote on the flight we wanted out of China. While the woman waited for the results to come back, I realised that I definitely was not feeling good and needed to get back to a horizontal position asap. And so we ignored the inflated quote we received and walked the two minutes back to the hotel, at which point mood lighting came on, I got my head down and Tim had a snack, then found himself falling asleep as well. Way to spend an afternoon, guys!

A couple of hours later and I awoke, seemingly feeling better. Appetite had returned, which was fab, and I munched on a few nearby Pringles, or rather the brand of crisps known as ‘Mister Potato’ and its own version of Pringles. Just to check one was on an even keel again, I went for a walk around the block with the iPod, then headed down to the nearby park to test something out. I’d read in the guidebook that if you go and sit on your own in this park around late afternoon, you will be approached by local students wanting to practice their English. So I found a bench to myself, put away the Ipod and waited. Five minutes later and a girl came and sat next to me. Then another girl and a guy arrived and started speaking to me. Next thing I knew, I was swarmed upon by students from all sides, forming a big crowd around me to listen to my supposed words of wisdom! There must have been at least 12 of them, plus one middle-aged tour guide who probably spoke better English than I did. It was a really good experience speaking to these fresh-faced youngsters, telling them all about my travelling, explaining some of the idiosyncrasies of intermediate English grammar, and trying not to make my job sound too boring. In fact, if there is one thing that I taught these future workers of Vietnam then it’s that a good manager does not need to shout at their staff to get them to work. If these kids come to have staff  working under them down the line then those staff will thank me for that one!

I didn’t have my camera, and I’d stayed out longer than planned, so I headed back in case Tim worried that I’d fallen in a gutter and lain there prone (like a lot of the locals, coincidentally). Like I said at the start of the post, the day was a bit of a write-off, but at least the “mini migraine”, if one can call it that, was over. And to celebrate that evening we went out and took pictures of me in the middle of a load of traffic:




Everybody loves a long exposure, don't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment