If you have any comments, please email:

If you have any comments, please send them to:
jamesandtimsworldtour@hotmail.co.uk

Facebook: James A Gray

Follow the journey by map

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Monday, 19th March (Archive)


Went for my appointment at Curzon Road Medical Practice to discuss becoming a human pin cushion in the near future. The nurse was great, but made things sounds a little scarier than I’ve been used to when I told her we didn’t know where exactly we were going in Asia (or when) – don’t you just work on the basis that India is the worst place in the world for diseases and if you’re covered for the sub-continent you’re covered for anywhere??? Apparently not.

Hepatitis A? Check. Hepatitis B? Check. It costs money to get them separately, but if you do them combined on the NHS they’re free – how peculiar is that? But I ain’t complaining! Diptheria-Polia-Tetanus? Check. That’s free as well, and I believe my last booster was when I was about three or four years old. Kind of overdue, I guess! Glad I haven’t been bitten by any crazy farm dogs. And speaking of dog bites, you can’t get a rabies jab done on the NHS and the nurse quoted me £158 from a private clinic!!! Do they use diamond-encrusted syringes or something?!! But it’s not compulsory to be jabbed for rabies, though it is “advisable”…ooooh, what a decision! I checked my Boots price list when I got home and saw rabies offered for just under £50 - I jumped for joy…`til I realised that was the price per injection, and you probably need about three. I’ll have to think on this one.

I’ve always got to think on malaria, which I admit I have underestimated. The nurse has given me plenty of source material and she wants me to read up on this wonderful tropical disease and assess my options regarding what to take. I just love homework at the best of times, let alone when I’m studying possible ways to die at the hands (or teeth) of buzzing blood-sucking parasites! There are several tablets I can take, but as expected the ones with least side effects that need to be taken less often naturally cost more. Why can’t everything be available for free on the NHS???

Nursey was up for jabbing me with the free shots there and then, but I wussed out, preferring to have some build-up time in which to psyche myself up. Plus I was starving and didn’t fancy keeling over on the surgery floor, given how I always feel feint after having a blood test. I’ll see her again in two weeks time when she’ll let me know if I need extra goodies taking care of, such as yellow fever and cholera.

I tell you, talking vaccinations doesn’t half put me off my food! For all of fifteen seconds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment