If you have any comments, please email:

If you have any comments, please send them to:
jamesandtimsworldtour@hotmail.co.uk

Facebook: James A Gray

Follow the journey by map

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Four ways to fight mosquitos


77 B.C.E.

This evening I took the famous test “Which anti-malarial are you?”

We’re talking malarone or doxycycline or lariam or chloroquine. We’re popping pills before we arrive (1 day – 3 weeks depending), we’re popping them while we’re there (once a day or once a week) and we’re still taking them once we’ve left (7 – 28 days depending). Of course, we’re only talking Asia for all this malarkey.

The problem is that we’ll be in Asia for a total of 87 days, plus the lead-in and lead-out periods, so the range of pills is from 18 chloroquine tablets all the way up to 117 doxycyline capsules.

But which to choose? Which to choose???

I have tentatively based my decision on price versus potential side effects versus frequency of having to neck them, but mostly price (you know me so well, budget traveller that I am!) Malarone has by far the least potential side effects, but at £2+ for a pill then we’re looking at over £200, plus the £5 NHS prescription. Nyeargh.

Lariam can cause sleep disorders, and if there’s one thing I don’t want when I’m stuck in a smelly old hostel it’s to wake up in the night screaming and being unable to get back to snoozey-snoozey-dream-land!

Tim took chloroquine when he went to India and he’s now scared stiff of the stuff. It’s giving me the jitters as well.

So doxcycline it is! (Mainly because I’ve seen it quoted for 19 pence a tablet. Can you put a price on not catching malaria? Yes!) The only bugbear is that I should take it after a meal and then stay upright for at least a half an hour…but I so love my post-dinner naps when I get to go to snoozey-snoozey-dream-land!

So after breakfast it is. Must be careful not crouch after taking it though…which could prove difficult with your typical Asian toilet…


No comments:

Post a Comment